These are the conditions of bicycle insurance. This insurance not only covers damage to your bike, but also guarantees you assistance in the event of a breakdown.
How to read the General Terms and Conditions?
The agreements relating to this insurance are set out in the Particular Conditions and in these General Conditions. Are there any differences between these conditions? In this case, the agreements in the Particular Conditions apply first.
Call directly: +32 2 290 61 00 (7 days a week, 24 hours a day)
A. General provisions
- Particular conditions: This document describes your personal data and the guarantees you have subscribed to.
- Damage: The costs you incur, that we cover and that we must pay as compensation.
- You: The insured persons.
- You/Policyholder: The person who has taken out the insurance contract.
- Insuree(s): You/the policyholder and the members of his/her family named in the Particular Conditions. All insured persons must be registered in Belgium or Luxembourg and must also live there.
- We/Insurer: AGA International SA (headquartered in Paris, France), also known as Allianz Global Assistance.
2. Who are we?
We are the Belgian branch of AGA International S.A. Our address:
Rue des Hirondelles 2, 1000 Brussels - Belgium
Phone: + 32 2 290 64 11 Fax: +32 2 290 64 19
Admitted under the FSMA number 2769. Company number 0837.437.919. The insurance is governed by these conditions, the Particular Conditions, the provisions of the Land Insurance Contract Act and Belgian legislation.
3. How are damages recorded and compensated?
We will quickly let you know if we will compensate you for the damage. We will also inform you of the amount of compensation.
- Complete the claim form completely and in accordance with reality. We will then be able to estimate the damage correctly.
- You must be in possession of the original invoices. We could ask you for them as evidence.
- You can use this insurance for up to three years after the date of an insured incident. The right to compensation expires after this period.
4. When do we claim reimbursement of benefits paid?
We claim reimbursement of benefits paid in the following cases:
- Any other person is liable for the damage? In this case, we are entitled to claim reimbursement from this other person for the compensation we have paid.
- We then discover that damage is not insured? We may also reclaim compensation paid to you in this case.
5. Multiple insurances
Are you entitled to compensation under any other insurance, law or regulation?
- In this case, you are not entitled to any compensation under our insurance;
- However, we will compensate you for damages that are not covered by other insurance, laws or regulations.
- If we still compensate for damages or advance costs at your request, you transfer your right to compensation to us under another insurance, law or regulation.
6. Who do we insure?
We only insure the inhabitants of Belgium and Luxembourg. This implies that during the term of the insurance(s), you must:
- be registered in your domicile in Belgium or Luxembourg;
- actually live in Belgium or Luxembourg.
We will not insure you if our company has indicated that it does not (or no longer) want to insure you. Have you already paid your premium? In this case, we will refund it to you.
7. Payment of the premium
You must always pay the premium in advance. In other words, before the coverage takes effect.
You must pay the first premium within 14 days of receiving the insurance. If not then there is no coverage from the effective date. We may decide to collect the premium and incidental expenses even if the insured period has expired.
For insurances that are maintained after the first premium has been paid, a subsequent premium will be charged.
The subsequent premium payment period is 30 days. You do not pay the subsequent premium on time? In this case, there is no coverage for damages from the 15th day following the sending of a registered letter of formal notice by us.
Would you like to be insured? Transfer the premium and any collection costs we have incurred to our account as soon as possible. As soon as we receive the money, you will be insured again. However, this is not retroactive. You will therefore not be insured in the interim period.
8. Can we change the premium and conditions?
We may change the premium and/or conditions. If we do, we will notify you at least 30 days in advance.
Do you disagree with a change? In this case, you can cancel the insurance. You can do this within 3 months of receiving the change and no later than 1 month after the new insurance contract takes effect.
Do you change the insurance yourself? In this case, we treat the change as if you were purchasing a new insurance policy. Changes may include, for example, extending the coverage or increasing the number of insured persons.
9. When and how can you cancel the insurance?
You can cancel the insurance within 14 days of taking out the policy. You are terminating the insurance after it has already come into effect? In this case, you must pay a premium for the period that the insurance had already covered. Do you have insurance that is extended after 1 year? In this case, you can cancel the insurance 1 month before each new insurance year. You can also cancel the insurance up to 1 month after the payment of a damage. If you do this, the insurance will end 3 months after termination. The termination must be notified by registered letter, letter of termination with acknowledgement of receipt or bailiff's writ. Did you pay too high a premium? In this case, we will refund you what is due to you.
10. When can we cancel the insurance?
We may terminate the insurance within 14 days of purchase. The insurance will therefore cease 8 days after the notice of termination.
We can also terminate the insurance up to 1 month after the settlement of a claim. If we do this, the insurance will cease 3 months after termination. We shall notify any termination by registered letter, letter of termination with acknowledgement of receipt or bailiff's writ.
It is also possible that the insurance may end after one month. This happens if the policyholder, the insured or the beneficiary has not fulfilled one of his obligations, which appeared following a claim, with the intention of deceiving us.
We can terminate your insurance in the following cases:
- If you have deceived us because you were not honest or complete when you purchased the insurance;
- In the event of damage caused intentionally, if you have given us an incorrect representation of the situation;
- If you report many damages or damages whose details remain unclear. In this case, we first examine the causes and whether they can be avoided in the future. We don't think they can be or you don't want to cooperate? In this case, we can terminate the insurance.
- Have you defrauded or swindled or deceived us? You will receive a letter about this. Coverage will cease on the date indicated on the letter.
11. What to do in case of a complaint?
Do you have a complaint? Contact us to submit it to us. You do not obtain satisfaction from one of our employees? You can send your complaint to our management. If you are not satisfied with the solution we propose, you must turn to the Belgian courts. Or contact the Insurance Ombudsman, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, email@example.com, fax: +32-2-547 59 75. All insurance policies are subject to the law of your country of residence.
12. Privacy and personal data protection
We comply with applicable privacy laws and regulations when we collect, obtain and use personal data.
You provide us with your data when you apply for insurance and during its execution. We use this data to accept and manage insurance, cover damages, manage relationships, as well as for marketing activities (of the Allianz group).
We also use your data to perform statistical analysis, prevent and combat fraud, and to comply with legal requirements.
By taking out insurance with us, you give us express authorisation, if necessary for the proper performance of the services offered by this insurance, to request personal and medical data from an insured, family members, healthcare providers and/or the attending doctor. You also authorize us to transmit this information to persons who need it for the execution of this insurance.
You have the right to access and rectify your personal data.
B. Explanations concerning the guarantee
1. Which bike is insured?
The bicycle designated in the Particular Conditions is insured. Accessories screwed to the bike (additional parts) are also insured. Accessories must be mentioned on the proof of purchase or invoice of the bicycle and their value must be included in the insured amount. They must be fixed in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer. Bags, baskets, removable child seats, bicycle computers and detachable GPS or navigation systems are not insured.
2. When are you insured?
The effective date and end date of coverage are indicated in the Particular Conditions. A policy year begins on the effective date and ends exactly one year later.
3. Where is the insurance valid?
The insurance is valid worldwide.
Assistance in the event of a breakdown is only available in Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, and up to 30 kilometres beyond the border with Germany and France. And from a mile from your home.
4. What is never insured?
What is never insured is listed below.
We do not offer any assistance and do not compensate any damage:
- if the damage already existed at the time of entry into force of this insurance;
- after the misuse of drugs, the use of drugs, narcotics or stimulants, and in case of drunkenness or alcoholism;
- if you participate with your bicycle in a paid competition;
- in case of preparation or participation in amateur competitions;
- in the event of a strike, decision by the authorities, restriction of free movement or radioactive radiation;
- in the event of involvement in criminal acts or because you have not complied with legal or safety regulations;
- in the event of war, civil war, insurrection or riot (but you are insured for the first 14 days if such an event occurs during a stay abroad);
- in the event of delays or non-performance of the agreed services provided that such delays or non-performance are due to: force majeure, unforeseeable events, strikes, civil wars, wars, riots, insurrections, decisions by the authorities, restrictions on free movement, radioactive radiation, explosions, sabotage, hijacking or acts of terrorism;
- in the event of bankruptcy and insolvency;
- in case of intent, gross negligence or gross negligence;
- in the event of terrorist attacks;
- in the event of natural disasters.
Nor do we offer any assistance or compensation:
- if you haven't been careful enough. You must have taken reasonable measures to avoid the damage;
- if your property is confiscated;
- if you could reasonably expect to pay such fees;
- if you have intentionally given us incorrect information at the time the insurance was taken out or at the time of the damage. In addition, the following aspects mean that you have not cooperated in the settlement of the damage:
- you have not provided us with any material information or changes;
- information was transmitted to persons, companies, authorities or other parties who did not have the right to know it in accordance with national or international agreements (sanctions lists).
5. Handle the equipment with care
The insurance is only valid if you have been sufficiently careful. You must have done everything possible to avoid theft, loss, disappearance or damage. This aspect is complex, as it often depends on the specific situation. Our starting point is to ask ourselves if you could reasonably have taken better measures to avoid the damage. If this is the case, we will not compensate the damage. Examples of situations in which we do not compensate for damage:
- if you leave your bike somewhere without putting a lock on it;
- if you leave the keys in clothes, a bag or a wardrobe.
6. What rules apply in case of damage?
In case of damage, you must contact us as soon as possible. If you have a valid reason for not being able to do so, the maximum time limit for notifying us of the damage is 180 days.
In the event of damage, the insured value must be proven on the basis of a proof of purchase or an invoice from the bicycle seller. The purchase note or expert report is more than 6 months old at the time the insurance takes effect? In this case, we do not base ourselves on the insured value, in case of damage, but on the value of the bicycle just before the damage.
In case of damage to the frame and paint, we may choose a specialized repair by Unlimited Colours. Following a frame repair, this company provides you with a lifetime warranty. In the event of a paint repair, you receive a seven-year warranty.
Damage to the bicycle can be repaired as soon as we give our authorization.
Coverage automatically terminates in the event of total loss, theft, sale of the bicycle or relocation to a country other than Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxembourg. The insurance ends if you do not wish to insure another bicycle or if we cannot insure the other bicycle in question. The excess premium will then be refunded to you.
How do we calculate compensation?
We will compensate you for damage to your bicycle up to the insured value less depreciation, less the residual value and less any deductible. A total loss is defined as a total loss when the repair of the bicycle costs more than the insured value less depreciation and less the residual value. A total loss can also be caused by theft or if the bike is completely lost in some other way.
What is depreciation?
This is a decrease in the insured value because the bicycle loses value each year.
In the 1st year up to and including the 3rd year of insurance, there is no amortization.
In the 4th year, we will pay a maximum of 75% of the insured value.
In the 5th year, we will pay a maximum of 60% of the insured value.
In the 6th year, we wil pay a maximum of 45% of the insured value.
In the 7th year, we will pay a maximum of 35% of the insured value.
In the 8th year, we will pay a maximum of 25% of the insured value.
From the 9th year onwards, we will pay a maximum of 20% of the insured value.
Attention: this depreciation regime also applies to accessories.
In case of damage:
- you send us the detailed repair note;
- we will compensate you for the cost of repair. Are the repair costs higher than the insured value less depreciation and less the residual value after the damage? We call this a total loss. In this case, we will compensate you for the amount remaining after deducting the insured value, depreciation, residual value after the damage and any deductible.
- you benefit from compensation of a maximum of 5€ per day for a replacement bike and 8.50€ per day for an electric bike, for a maximum duration of 3 days, plus any days necessary to have the damage estimated by a damage expert. You can forward these costs to us by having them added to the repair note.
|Purchase price of the bike:||1.000€|
|Year of damage:||4th year|
|Residual value of the damaged bike (this is the actual value of the damaged bike)||100€|
Calculation of compensation:
|Calculation at the time of damage based on depreciation:|
|Residual value||-100 €|
|Damage noted||650 €|
In case of theft:
- you must provide us with the original police report;
- you must provide us with the purchase note or invoice for the lock with which the insured bicycle was attached;
- once we have received all the necessary documents, we will determine if you are entitled to compensation. The insured amount, from which the depreciation and deductible are deducted, will be transferred to your bank account as soon as possible after the theft is reported;
- your bike is found after the payment of the compensation? In this case, you must reimburse us for the amount paid. You can also keep the compensation, but we will then own the stolen bike.
C. Content of the guarantee(s)
1. Damage to the bicycle
"Damage to the bicycle" is included in the Particular Conditions? In this case, you are insured for the following:
- Electric bicycle: this is a bicycle equipped with an auxiliary electric motor and a rechargeable battery (max 25km/h)
- Mountain bike: Bicycle designed for off-road riding
- Race bike: Bicycle designed for frequent rides and long distances
|What is insured?|
- Any (collision) damage to the bike.
- Any damage you yourself cause to the bike by accident.
- Any damage while the bike was parked (such as vandalism).
- Any damage to the bike (if the bike is found after a theft).
|What is the deductible (own risk)?|
- 25€ per damage
- For mountain and race bikes, a 20% deductible on the damage noted by us will be applied in case of a total loss.
- There is a damage, but no total loss? In this case, a deductible of 50€ is applicable for mountain and race bikes.
|What is not insured?|
- Wear, insufficient maintenance and weather influences over time.
- Parts that would break without a collision.
- Damage to tires, skirt guard, chain case, tensioners, cables, bell, lights, as well as damage caused by scratches and scratches. However, these elements are insured if the rest of the bike is damaged.
- Damage to the battery if it was not new at the time the insurance was purchased.
- Damage to the battery while it was still operating normally.
- Damage to easily removable bicycle parts, such as batteries, bicycle computers and navigation systems. However, these parts are insured if the rest of the bike is damaged and they are part of the default bike.
|Special features||As for mountain and race bikes, we do not take into account any damage below 250€.|
2. Theft of the bicycle
"Theft of the bicycle" is included in the Particular Conditions? In this case, you are insured for the following:
- Electric bike: this is a bicycle equipped with an auxiliary electric motor and a rechargeable battery (max 25km/h)
- Mountain bike: Bicycle designed for off-road riding
- Race bike : Bicycle designed for frequent rides and long distances
- Solid anti-theft: These are security chains, U-shaped locks and folding locks with a minimum purchase value of € 30. These locks must allow the bicycle to be attached to a stationary object. The purchase of the lock must be proven by means of a proof of purchase or an invoice. The date of purchase of the lock must be prior to the date on which the insured bicycle was stolen.
|What is insured?|
- (Attempted) theft, misappropriation and fraud.
- Any damage that occurred during the period during which the bicycle was stolen.
|What is the deductible (own risk)?|
- For mountain and race bikes, a 20% deductible on the damage noted by us will be applied.
|What is not insured?|
- If the bike wasn't attached with a lock.
- If the bike was not equipped with a strong lock.
- Mountain and race bikes* not attached with a strong lock to a fixed object, such as a bike rack, a tree or any other fixed object.
- Theft of easily removable bicycle parts, such as batteries, bicycle computers and navigation systems. However, these parts are insured if the entire bike is stolen and they are part of the default bike or are also insured as accessories.
|Special features||As soon as we receive all the necessary information, the claim form and the police report with the chassis number, we will determine whether you are entitled to compensation.|
* Bicycles that do not have a fixed lock, such as mountain and race bikes, must be attached by the frame to an object that is securely nailed or anchored to the ground with a solid lock.
3. Assistance in the event of a bicycle breakdown
"Assistance in the event of bicycle breakdown" is included in the Particular Conditions? In this case, you are insured for the following:
|Definitions||Breakdown: An accident or mechanical failure that prevents you from continuing to ride your bike.|
|What is insured?||In the event of a breakdown in Belgium, Luxembourg, and up to 30 kilometres beyond the border with Germany and France, is insured:|
- You can no longer use your bike? And we can't fix the problem on the spot? In this case, we will drive you, as well as the bike, luggage and a passenger:
- Your place of departure (home or place of residence), or;
- your destination, or;
- at the bike repairer.
- You benefit from compensation of a maximum of 5€ per day for a replacement bike and 8.50€ per day for an electric bike, for a maximum duration of 3 days, plus any days necessary to have the damage estimated by a damage expert.
|What is the deductible (own risk)?||None|
|What is not insured?|
- Assistance required due to a low battery, because you have not recharged your battery enough.
- Assistance while you are one kilometre from your home.
|Special features|| |
- We offer you assistance a maximum of 4 times per insurance year.
- In the event of loss or theft of your breakdown assistance card, you will receive a new card.
- Assistance is only possible in places that are freely accessible by our emergency services.